Wednesday 7 February 2018

Never Say Never


Sometimes you can end up on skid row by following a horse over a cliff, and I have been guilty of that on more than one occasion. Luckily for me though, most of the horses that catch my eye are usually of the higher priced persuasion and even if they don’t win it is still possible to turn a profit from each way bets. First Of Never is a perfect example of such a horse, and I have followed Lynn Siddall’s charge for a longer time than I care to remember.
Jamie Bargary comes in for the ride on First Of Never.
This very frustrating 12yo son of Systematic first caught my eye as a sprightly 8yo all the way back in March 2014, and I cannot believe he still hasn’t managed to win a race since then. The first time I ever backed him was in a 21f handicap hurdle at Towcester off a mark of 74 two months later, and he ran a lovely race to finish 4th of 17 at odds of 33/1.

I had snapped up 40s that morning so I was happy enough to sneak a place and he was placed again, this time when 2nd at Doncaster (19.5f gd/sft), two runs later and again he could be backed at very rewarding odds. However, the fact remains that after 33 starts First Of Never remains a maiden, with just 7 placed finishes to show for all his efforts.

I must need my head examined for thinking this fella is still capable of winning a race, but this time last year he ran a humdinger over today’s course and distance (gd) to finish a close up 3rd behind two rivals (Stepover and Calarules) rated 92 and 100 respectively. That effort came from 4lb out of the handicap, and 2f out he was travelling like a dream out in front before tiring after the last.

He is again running from out of the handicap returned to this course and distance for the first time since and Lynn Siddall has booked Jamie Bargary for the ride. First Of Never has lots of placed form on good to soft ground so once underfoot conditions don’t deteriorate he should be fine. He has run well fresh before, from five starts at Doncaster he has form figures of 23003 and at odds of 50/1 hopefully he rewards e/w support. If he doesn’t, I think it is safe to say I will never tip Never again.

STEVOS’ SELECTION: 16.40 DONCASTER-FIRST OF NEVER E/W @ 50/1

No comments:

Post a Comment