Saturday 1 December 2018

Donna Can Delight Up In Trip At Newcastle


I have had to slightly reduce my output on the blog as I am now writing previews for TXODDS on a full time basis. Read my Saturday tips for Newbury by clicking here. However, I will still try to post as often as I can, and I can’t resist having a bet on Donna’s Delight in the 23.5f handicap chase at 13.35 up at Newcastle.
Sandy and Quona Thomson with stable star Seeyouatmidnight.
It is Fighting Fifth day there on Saturday and I hope Buveur D’Air’s reign as the top 2 mile hurdler on both sides of the Irish Sea continues. I don’t think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves in some quarters. I love how he jumps, he has a turn of foot and he showed he had the stomach for a fight on ground far too soft for him when beating Melon at the Festival.

For me, his most scintillating display came on good to soft when he won his first Champion Hurdle. He will get his ground tomorrow and if he is even 90% fit I can see him winning this. However, I am not one for backing horses at 5/4 and that is why I am turning my attention to Donna’s Delight.

This lightly raced 7yo son of Portrait Gallery has won just two of his ten career starts, a bumper and a novice hurdle on soft and heavy ground respectively. However, he has shown decent form on better ground so the good to soft ground at Newcastle shouldn’t pose any problems.

Formerly trained by Keith Reveley, he is now in the hands of shrewd Scottish handler Sandy Thomson. He also runs last time out maiden hurdle winner Caventara in this, and he is just 8/1. However, he is having his first outing of the season and is making his chasing debut, so perhaps he is best watched today.

Donna’s Delight, on the other hand, had a run over 20f at Carlisle to blow away the cobwebs and Thomson’s horses usually come on plenty for their comeback runs. He was badly hampered early and was beaten nearly 40L in 7th, but he is a better horse than that and he will be a lot fitter this afternoon.

This fella is a full brother to Knockanrawley, a horse that stays further than 3 miles and who appreciates nice ground. His owner has always said that his future lay as a staying chaser, and hopefully Donna’s Delight proves him right at Newcastle. I think he is worth chancing each way at odds of 18/1.

STEVOS’ SELECTION: 1.35 NEWCASTLE-DONNA’S DELIGHT E/W @ 18/1



No comments:

Post a Comment